Grassroots Bicester is a Community Action Group which was established in October 2010. The group comprises of local residents, who shared a common interest in sustainability and community spirit, working across Bicester devising sustainable projects and solutions which will make a real difference to their local environment. Our aim is to build a better world by growing a greener Bicester and we hope to:
• To promote the 3 R’s of waste (Reduce, Re-use & Recycle)
• To work with local residents to build a better community in Bicester
• Raise awareness of climate change and reduce Bicester’s carbon footprint
We work with communities to empower them to learn more about climate change and what they can do to reduce their impact on the environment. We also provide opportunities for people in our community to learn new skills and share them amongst others.
We have developed three key projects:
- Bicester’s Big Lunch is an annual community event bringing communities together over food and entertainment. Bicester’s was the largest Big Lunch in the country last year. Find out more here.
- Langford Community Orchard was formed in spring 2011. The working group meets regularly to work on the orchard site, as well as being open for the community to use, from playgroups & nurseries, to schools, to local groups of all ages.
- Bicester Incredible Edible project installed and continues to maintain several edible planters on a local estate.
Our meetings are a great way to find out about our current and future projects, meet new people in a relaxed environment. The Group meets on the 2nd Wednesday of every month usually starting at 7pm.